Sunday 5 June 2016

Projects - Giving Our Downstairs Hall A Makeover

Our entrance hallway was cluttered and not very functional.


I started by:
1. pulling everything off the shelves, off the coat stands and out of the cube stools;
2. throwing out anything we don't wear, is too small, torn or broken;
3. anything still in usable condition was bagged up and went to the charity shop;
4. cleaned everything staying in the hall including the walls and floor;
5. measured up all the furniture that was staying in the hall;
6. measured the space I had in the hall;
7. and planned where I was going to put everything.

I'm a visual person and in order to work out where everything was going I drew it out. I drew it currently and then with the help of my kids and some cut out shapes we worked out where to put everything so it was practical.
 
Then I got to work rearranging stuff. The shoes and boots went into the cupboard and the cubes. The coats and jackets back on the stands then I moved them into position. This meant I could see how much space was left as I still wasn't sure where to put the shelf units. Once I realised there was enough room, I slid the shelf units in at a 90 degree angle to the wall so we could access both sides of it (to hopefully reduce the kids arguing over who has enough room to get their school bags out in the mornings) at the same time.

Then it was just a case of tidying all the leftover bits and pieces.

In the after pictures there a couple of bags 2 for the charity shop and one with reusable bags to go into the car boot, which have since been removed from the hall since I took the photos.

I'm very proud of my little accomplishment in re-organising the hall. It's one more step to us having a more pleasant home. Friends and family have commented on it being nicer when you walk in (being less cluttered REALLY helps).

















No comments:

Post a Comment